There are many home owners out there who are thinking about selling their homes themselves. Likewise they are many companies in the industry who boast how easy it is to sell a house on your own and how much money you will save. There are numerous reasons to hire a professional to see your home but below is just a few of the main ones.
- Do you have the time to sell your home – Selling your home is more than just putting a sale on your yard. If you work, will you be available when your potential buyers are available to see your home? Are you going to be ready at a drop of a hat each time a buyer comes? Will you be okay missing out on free weekends and evenings; for fear of missing a potential buyer?
- Marketing – Do you know how best to market your home? Have you created a budget for your marketing? Agents can spend upto thousands of dollars to marker their clients home.
- Contract / Counter Offers – Agents have a great deal of experience and knowledge when it comes to drafting up offers. As the seller you will not be responsible for drafting the contract, cause the buyer will be responsible for that, but will you be comfortable with going over the offer yourself or will you need to hire a lawyer to do that in addition to the closing of the property? Will you be able to create a counter offer on your own?
- Can you be emotionally distant? All sellers love their home, otherwise they wouldn’t have bought it in the first place. Do you have the ability to separate your emotional attachment and love for the house when it comes time to price and negotiate with a buyer? Staying calm through the process may seem easy to do, but during the process things can become stressful. Will you always be able to remain calm in order to make sure the sale goes through? Keep in mind, buyers who by from the seller directly are looking for a deal and believe you will be able to offer them a great deal because you are selling on your own thus saving money from paying out a listing commission.
- Pricing – How do you plan on pricing your home? Do you know how to create a list of comparables in order to determine your homes sale price? Do you have access to the sold prices in your neighbourhood?
Overall there is so much more that an agent does in order to get your home sold for the best price and in the time frame you want. An agent has to stay calm and collected throughout the entire process.
They have the knowledge about the market and the neighbourhood, thus allowing them to excel during the negotiation process. Keep in mind most For Sale By Owner properties do sell for less than what an agent would have the property sold for. In the end you must decide “Do I want to Sell the House to the Best of MY Abilities” or “Do I Want My House to Sell to the Best of a Professionals Ability?”